Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever before have many scientific breakthroughs and brand-new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free way to remedy vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant ads about a specific laser center. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Find out who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Find another one if your doctor won't tell you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are readily available. Ask sites your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the globe.